18 August 2015

Nerd Block Classic: 'Summer Mix Tape'


'Summer Mix Tape' is the theme for August but it should have been called 'The Ghostbusters Block'.  Not a complaint (unless GB isn't your thing) as the majority of the items in the block are centred around GB.



The shirt design is pretty freaking cool.  Not sure how it fits into the "Summer Mix Tape' theme too well but it's a keeper.

I ain't afraid of no ghosts
Slimer is the exclusive Monster Factory item this month.  It is pretty cool if you are again, into GB or if you are into stuffed plush things.  I do like the derp expression on his face so I am considering finding a space to display him. 

derp

The Awkward Family Photos Postcard booklet is hilarious if you find humour in unfortunate family moments caught in photos.  My housemates have all ready decided that we are giving these out as holiday cards.

thankfully these aren't my family nightmares

Ah the Rubik's cube.  I recall having one in our study growing up and I distinctly remember the frustration my brothers had with not being able to solve it.   Eventually they tore all the stickers off and placed them correctly.  The Rubik's Cube Stress Ball is all ready completed (and made of foam) so need to tear your hair out to figure it out.  More than likely, this will be going to the trade-off bin. My nephew has claimed this one.


squish
A Nerd Block Exclusive A Coaster of Kings???  Not even sure these can be categorised as a summer item.  Typical chip board coasters with dragon designs in different colours.  The more I look at them, the less they are reminding me of summer and the more they are reminding me of a Fantasy theme item.  Will be putting these in the trade-off bin.  

EDIT: I've been told that these are actually Game of Throne house sigil coasters.  If that is the case, these definitely do not belong in this themed box and were an after thought.   Unless it was the coasters that were meant to represent summer, I don't know.


4 coasters: Yellow, blue, green, red

The final item is another exclusive, The Ghost Trap Lunch Box (another GB item).  It is a neat little box for nostalgia's sake but I am not a fan of lunchboxes.  I believe I may have used one for a few weeks in primary school and never again.  The only lunchbox I own is the Vault Tec lunchbox from Fallout 3.  It is worth noting that this is an aluminum box so the more times the hinge is opened (Slimer is packed inside!) and shut, the more the paint will begin to wear.  As I said, it is pretty cool but I have no use for it and this will be another item going into the trade-off bin.   My nephew has claimed this as well. 


individual results may vary

The Final Verdict

The items and the theme were a miss for me this month.  There wasn't a 'Summer Mix Tape' feel to any of the items.  The shirt and postcards were my favourite in this block and I'm sure I can find a good home for the items assigned to the trade-off bin.  It wasn't a bad block; the theme wasn't well executed is all.  If it were more appropriately called the 'Ghostbusters Block' it would have been a more cohesive theme.    




Upcoming Classic Box:
Hyperspace Theme (Episode VII The Force Awakens Official Item)